cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Darwin
Sisense Team Member
Sisense Team Member

Viewing Widget JAQL Queries

There are a large number of reasons you may want to view the query(ies) being sent from a dashboard widget, most of which are performance or data quality related. This article explains two methods that can be used independently of each other or in concert to assure all perspectives of the issue are understood.

A query executed from a dashboard widget against an Elasticube can be captured using any HTML5 browser console (or headless browser), or by calling the Sisense REST API. Queries against an Elasticube are in JAQL for JSON query processing on big data.  Sisense provides a complete JAQL Syntax Reference of the properties and options in the query which define the result set.

Using any HTML5 browser console

The JAQL query can be captured by using the developer tools available in HTML5 browser consoles. This is easy to set up and gives a better context (you see all HTTP requests on the page) than the REST API approach. If the page is not available or you are focusing on a specific widget query, obtaining the JAQL query via API may be more appropriate.

To capture the query, create a HAR file following this process. You will need this file if you contact Sisense Support. The developer tools will capture everything that happens in your browser session rather than just the JAQL query for one specific widget. This will provide context if you are analyzing an overall dashboard issue. It is a best practice to capture the HAR file even if you are focusing on a specific widget due to the context it provides.

Using a REST API call

The JAQL query for a specific widget can be obtained by using the Sisense REST API.This provides focus and allows you to obtain the code even when the dashboard may not be available (e.g. Page fails before executing the request.) If the dashboard is available it is best practice to capture the HAR file (see above) to provide context while using the API call to provide focus.

To obtain the query, prepare a response to retrieve the correct JAQL. Below you can find the JavaScript code to prepare the payload. Use the value of parameter [payload] as body to send API requests at /elasticubes/{elasticube}/jaql.

var dashboardId = '5b2bc0c85c523d24c48c3e36';
var widgetId = '5b2bc0ee5c523d24c48c3e4f';
var elastiCubeName = 'Sample Lead Generation';

//Get widget's structure
var widgetStructure = sendAPIRequest('GET', '/api/v1/dashboards/'+dashboardId+'/widgets/'+widgetId, '');

//Prepare response to use it in next API request
var currectStructure = prepareResponse(widgetStructure)

//Send request to server
//var jaqlResponse = sendAPIRequest('POST', '/api/datasources/'+elastiCubeName+'/jaql', currectStructure); /*optional*/

//process request
processRequest(jaqlResponse);

function prepareResponse(a) {
  var result = [];
  for (i=0; i<a.metadata.panels.length; i++) {
  for (j=0; j<a.metadata.panels[i].items.length; j++) {
            if (a.metadata.panels[i].items[j]) {
                result.push(a.metadata.panels[i].items[j].jaql);  
            };
        }
  };
  var payload = {metadata: result};
  payload = JSON.stringify(payload);
  return payload;
};

function sendAPIRequest(method, url, data) {
    var response = $.ajax({
        method: method,
        url: url,
        async: false,
        data: data,
        contentType: 'application/json'}).responseJSON;
     return response;
}

function processRequest(jaqlResponse) {
 //console.log(jaqlResponse) /*optional if using the Send request to server*/
   console.log(currectStructure)

Conclusion

If you need additional help, please contact Sisense Support.

Version history
Last update:
‎02-23-2024 01:07 PM
Updated by:
Community Toolbox

Recommended quick links to assist you in optimizing your community experience:

Developers Group:

Product Feedback Forum:

Need additional support?:

Submit a Support Request

The Legal Stuff

Have a question about the Sisense Community?

Email [email protected]