cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Additional Options for Displaying Values on Graphs

MikeGre
9 - Travel Pro
9 - Travel Pro

During widget creation, and dashboard development, we have all came across multiple dilemmas and questions like:

- Does this widget look good?

- Does this look good as part of the whole dashboard?

- Is the dashboard too crowded? Is the widget too crowded?

- Shall I add/remove something?

A frequently used widget in most of our dashboards are line charts, bar charts & probably a combo of both on the same widget!

Their power on showing trend and correlation with another metric/value, is often a key-part to detect an insight/outlier by applying some business perspective on those data, as well 😉

One of the challenges is, when you try to plot multiple points(eg. over 20) on a Line Chart, it can be by itself crowded (refer to example1.png attached). You would agree that some numbers are hard to read, right?

Imagine, having a beautifully structured schema, where this beautiful trend can be broken down to another dimension (refer to example2.png attached). Yes, I know.... 

This is how easy a beautiful chart can get ugly in 2-secs..

There used to be a functionality in Windows (probably a custom plugin) that gave the dashboard developer/designer the opportunity to select which Values to show, eg. First, Last, Min, Max) 

In Linux, unfortunately this plugin is not compatible, therefore I am reaching out to you Sisenser's, if you are facing similar issue, if you have tackled it, and if there is any plan to add this Sisense's roadmap for development in future versions as part of Product Feedback.

I have also included the dashboard.png as part of the "Does this look good as part of the whole dashboard?"! 🙂 

10 REPLIES 10

DRay
Community Team Member
Community Team Member

Hi Mike,

I wonder if something like this might be useful for you? https://community.sisense.com/t5/knowledge/removing-value-labels-and-markers-from-a-specific-series/...

David Raynor (DRay)

MikeGre
9 - Travel Pro
9 - Travel Pro

Thanks @DRay , we will review it thoroughly and will get back to you with feedback!

Hey @DRay ,

The link provided covers only one aspect of the story, which is to hide one or more Series from the chart.

What I probably failed to describe is what we use on the Windows environment (custom plugin).

Please find the screenshot attached value_labels_example.png

I hope that this better describes the initial post.

DRay
Community Team Member
Community Team Member

Hi @MikeGre.

Have you looked into this? https://community.sisense.com/t5/build-analytics/is-there-a-way-to-hide-show-data-labels-on-chart-us...

Also, I think I found the original plugin if you want to try it and see if it works, or can be made to work. It is unofficial, so it's not something that we support, but if you want to book some time with a technical resource we may be able to help. https://community.sisense.com/t5/knowledge/customize-value-labels/ta-p/9162

I also found this that might be helpful. https://community.sisense.com/t5/knowledge/modifying-x-axis-labels/ta-p/9059

David Raynor (DRay)

MikeGre
9 - Travel Pro
9 - Travel Pro

@DRaythanks!

Thank you for the additional links! They really seem interesting!

Also thank you for the original plugin. I have tested it in L2023.11 and it seems to partially work. (Sometimes the chart freezes) and the charts don't change after filter change..

I will share it with my team internally to review the plugins' code, but it would be also helpful to show this to a member of technical team!  I'm sure they will be more familiar.

Let me know how to schedule this

DRay
Community Team Member
Community Team Member

@MikeGre. If you want to pursue working with a Sisense technical resource, reach out to your account team about scheduling. They will be able to get that process started.

David Raynor (DRay)

DRay
Community Team Member
Community Team Member

Hi @MikeGre.

Were you able to get this resolved? If so, can you share the solution here so others can find it?

Thank you.

David Raynor (DRay)

MikeGre
9 - Travel Pro
9 - Travel Pro

Hi @DRay ,

I have contacted my account manager regarding this topic. We are planning to schedule a session to review this. 

Thanks for getting back!

DRay
Community Team Member
Community Team Member

I'm glad to hear things are moving forward!

David Raynor (DRay)

MikeGre
9 - Travel Pro
9 - Travel Pro

@DRay it seems that the plugin is still functionable up until L2023.09

From version L2023.11 onwards it seems that due to a new Highchart 10.3.3 version the plugin is not supported anymore..

Unfortunately, we do not intend to roll-back our Sisense's version, but it would be nice if this feature could be considered for development as a product feedback.