Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best practises for co-dev in version control

ramansingh89
9 - Travel Pro
9 - Travel Pro

Hello,

We are implementing git integration with sisense and will use it to build artifacts in dev instance and deploy to test and prod eg: 

Screenshot 2024-04-05 at 8.36.37 AM.png

so considering that the "local repository" (GIT FS) is specific to an environment/project rather than a developer, how multiple developers can work together simultaneously without impacting each other?

for example: If 3 developers would like to use Sisense dev instance to build stuff and each has their own feature/ branch (eg: feat1/, feat2/, feat3/) on the same project. Now they are all committing, pull/push simultaneously, changing the state of the Sisense application in real-time.  I feel like due to Sisense limitations, only 1 developer can work at one time.

Has anyone else encountered this issue and found effective solutions? Additionally, is Sisense aware of this limitation and working on any potential solutions?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

DRay
Community Team Member
Community Team Member

Hi @ramansingh89,

Can you submit this as an Idea in Product Feedback? We will dig into your use case with you to make sure that we understand the requirements. We enjoy working with our customers to create a product that meets their needs.

Thank you.

David Raynor (DRay)

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

paulDiag
8 - Cloud Apps
8 - Cloud Apps

I'm also interested in good practices to manage development and production environments!

Oleksandr_K
Sisense Team Member
Sisense Team Member

Thank you for your feedback on Sisense's Git integration. The Git project in Sisense indeed acts as a "local" repository, which, in essence, is local to anyone working on the same instance. As such, actions like checking out to another branch will affect all developers working on the same project.

While we have added "Concurrency Locks" to prevent overwriting each other's updates, we are not prioritizing developer or branch-level isolation in 2024.

In the meantime, we recommend structuring projects to reduce simultaneous work on the same assets. In other words, you might have a project per developer or alter your workflow in a way that prevents several developers from working on different branches at the same time.

Hi @Oleksandr_K 

Thank you for your response and the suggested alternatives. However , I strongly believe that these alternatives may not be suitable for our engineering team at scale. For instance, blocking other developers on Sisense or having one project per developer could significantly disrupt our collaborative workflow and affect our ability to meet sprint product deliverables effectively.

Furthermore, adopting one project per developer isn't feasible due to our reliance on a single Git repository for our Sisense project. It's important to emphasize that, given the nature of our work involving version control and GitHub, we expect robust collaboration and developer isolation features akin to those found in other engineering software solutions.

Therefore, I strongly believe that addressing this gap is imperative, as it has the potential to significantly impact our work and likely affects other clients who also rely on GitHub for collaborative development. Could you please consider prioritizing this feature request to ensure we can continue to work efficiently and effectively? Your support in addressing this issue would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

DRay
Community Team Member
Community Team Member

Hello @ramansingh89,

We currently iterating on the Git integration, and will definitely take your feedback into consideration.

In the meantime, have you looked into ComposeSDK? It would allow your developer to create visualizations directly in code and free them from having to create the Dashboards in Sisense.

Here is a link to more information, https://www.sisense.com/platform/compose-sdk/. There are links there to our documentation site and our Discord server. If you would like to get a demo or discuss your use case please reach out to your account team to set something up.

Have a great day!

David Raynor (DRay)

Hi @DRay 

Thank you for your response and I am glad to know that my feedback will be taken into consideration 

Yes I have looked into ComposeSDK, unfortunately its not a good fit for our regular Sisense users. Its technically very advanced

DRay
Community Team Member
Community Team Member

Hi @ramansingh89,

Can you submit this as an Idea in Product Feedback? We will dig into your use case with you to make sure that we understand the requirements. We enjoy working with our customers to create a product that meets their needs.

Thank you.

David Raynor (DRay)