cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

How to create custom action based on a BLOX dropdown filter (+Styling the filter)?

irismaessen
11 - Data Pipeline
11 - Data Pipeline

I'm currently using the Wiser Filter widget plugin to display some dropdown filters on a dashboard, but I would like to add some more involved filtering (where I potentially apply filters to two columns at once) using BLOX.

I really like the styling of the Wiser Filter widget, and I think the default Blox dropdown filter styling, while practical, is very basic. I haven't found a way to style the dropdown box. Any guidance on where to start in that direction would be useful.

My main issue, however is that I have some trouble getting the BLOX dropdown filter to work as I would want it to. Even the default template doesn't actually work for me to *filter*. It does display the list of filter values but the 'apply' button does nothing, even though I filled in the filter name in the script and that's also what the filter on the dashboard was called.

Interestingly, the default template gives the snippet for the dropdown the id "data.filters[0].filterJaql.members[0]". If I check the documentation, that says the id attribute for a Dropdown must be 'selectVal'.

I wasn't particularly interested in the default usecase for the dropdown so I used the 'selectVal' id and tried to create a custom action that reads out this value (+ a value from a tickybox) and applies filters that way. But there I run into the issue that the value available as 'selectVal' is an HTML Collection that the filters can't work with. It actually seems to be the entire list of values that *could* be filtered on, not the selected value. How do I get the actual selected value so I can use it in my script?

The script of the custom action that showed to me that 'selectVal' was a strange collection (I know this doesn't actually set any filters yet):

const filterText = payload.data.selectVal
const filterTitle = payload.titleToFilter
const filterDim = payload.dimToFilter

console.log(selectVal);
prism.activeDashboard.filters.update(
{
'jaql': {
'dim': filterDim,
'title': filterTitle,
'filter': {
'members': []
},
'explixit': true,
'multiSelection': true,
'datatype':'text'
}
},
{ 'save': true, 'refresh': true }
);

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

harikm007
13 - Data Warehouse
13 - Data Warehouse

Hi @irismaessen ,

Check if the below post helps:

https://www.binextlevel.com/post/blox-drop-down-with-all-selection

harikm007_0-1673282396286.png

(second line in the blox script is to set border-radius:  "style": "select {border-radius:5px}",)

-Hari

View solution in original post

Hey Iris, 

You can set global rules for css in the first line of blox: 

"style": "#select_id {  width: 100%;  border: 1px solid;  border-radius: 15px;  padding: 0.25em 0.5em;  font-size: 1.25rem;  cursor: pointer; background: radial-gradient(circle, rgba(238,174,202,1) 0%, rgba(148,187,233,1) 100%);}",

You'll get something like this: 
select.PNG 

Regarding custom action -> How do you pass members to the filter object?
You can try this: 

{
            'dim': "[Brand.Brand]",                 // filter dim
            'title': "Brand",                       // filter title
                'members': [payload.data.select_id] // filterText
            },
            'explicit': true,
            'datatype': 'text'
        }

}, { 'save': true, 'refresh': true }
)

If you are intrested in some more advanced filter dropdown - where you are able to choose single or multiple items in one dropdown, add dependent filter within dropdowns, be able to control look and feel from design panel, I can suggest one of our most popular plugin
 Advanced dashboard filters 
filters.png

Best regards, 
Alek from QBeeQ

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

Alek_qbeeq
9 - Travel Pro
9 - Travel Pro

Hey @irismaessen 

Could you provde full json example of what you are trying to achive? 

1. I'm not sure what you are reffering as styling select input but you can always use style parameter in Blox 

"style": "#select_id {  width: 80%; border: 1px solid aqua;  etc;}"

or 

{
    "type": "Input.ChoiceSet",
    "id": "select_id",
    "class": "",
    "displayType": "compact",
    "choices": "{choices:Brand}",
    "style": {
        "color": "coral"
    }
}

2. Within custom action 

console.log(payload.data.select_id)

should return selected value from dropdown.

//Instead of 
console.log(selectVal);
//try 
console.log(filterText)

Always here to help,
Alek from QBeeQ
[email protected]
QBeeQ - Gold Implementation and Development Partner

Hey Alex,

1. With "styling" I'm talking about styling the actual dropdown box -- perhaps it's a bit of a cliche, but I want rounded corners and some space around the text :). See the attached screenshot for a comparison of the styling of the dropdown box in the Wiser Filter widget and the Default Blox styling.

For code here, the part I want to style is essentially the standard Dynamic Dropdown that I linked in the original post.

Your hint of 'you can apply styles' at least got me looking a bit further into CSS styling code, and I can indeed change the text/border color and the border thickness, but no matter where I put the style block within the Blox JSON, I don't get the rounded corners or more padding around the text:

{
                                            "type": "Input.ChoiceSet",
                                            "class": "addPlaceholder",
                                            "id": "selectVal",
                                            "spacing": "default",
                                            "padding": "4px",
                                            "displayType": "compact",
                                            "choices": "{choices:myFilter}",
                                                "style": {
                                                    "color": "grey",   // this works
                                                    "border": "4px",   // this, too
                                                    "border-radius":"5px" //not this

}
                                        }

--

2. Ah, yes, that's what I was missing re:getting a correct value logged in the console and therefore also used in the filter. So thank you for that. (I knew it had to be something obvious). However, if I apply filterText as a members filter  I get every individual letter applied as a filter instead of the whole phrase. 

I probably could work around that by applying an 'equals' filter but I'd like to get it to work this way.

{
'dim': filterDim,
'title': filterTitle,
'members': []
},
'datatype':'text'
}
},
{ 'save': true, 'refresh': true }
);

Thank you for the help you've already given,

Iris

Hey Iris, 

You can set global rules for css in the first line of blox: 

"style": "#select_id {  width: 100%;  border: 1px solid;  border-radius: 15px;  padding: 0.25em 0.5em;  font-size: 1.25rem;  cursor: pointer; background: radial-gradient(circle, rgba(238,174,202,1) 0%, rgba(148,187,233,1) 100%);}",

You'll get something like this: 
select.PNG 

Regarding custom action -> How do you pass members to the filter object?
You can try this: 

{
            'dim': "[Brand.Brand]",                 // filter dim
            'title': "Brand",                       // filter title
                'members': [payload.data.select_id] // filterText
            },
            'datatype': 'text'
        }

}, { 'save': true, 'refresh': true }
)

If you are intrested in some more advanced filter dropdown - where you are able to choose single or multiple items in one dropdown, add dependent filter within dropdowns, be able to control look and feel from design panel, I can suggest one of our most popular plugin
 Advanced dashboard filters 
filters.png

Best regards, 
Alek from QBeeQ

The square brackets around the 'members' filter text!  It's only obvious once you know what the problem is, right?

This will let me do what I want to. Thank you!

Iris

harikm007
13 - Data Warehouse
13 - Data Warehouse

Hi @irismaessen ,

Check if the below post helps:

https://www.binextlevel.com/post/blox-drop-down-with-all-selection

harikm007_0-1673282396286.png

(second line in the blox script is to set border-radius:  "style": "select {border-radius:5px}",)

-Hari

I'm glad it's possible to accept multiple solutions, because this also gives a very nice example and lets me analyse where I went wrong. Thank you for the reply.

Iris