cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

How to model changing Membership Types when calculating Historical Data

satyamarigold
7 - Data Storage
7 - Data Storage

I have a user table with a property MembershipType. I also have a second table with documentations that our staff are filling for each user over time The common key here is "username". I need to create a breakdown of # of documents filled per membership type. The problem comes when trying to get sisense and it's Dim Dates Table to pick start dates and end dates for memberships. 

Eg: if a user John is of membershipType "Alpha" till March 23 and "Beta" afterwards, documentation for John should count towards Alpha before March 23 and Beta after March 23.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Benji_PaldiTeam
10 - ETL
10 - ETL

Hi @satyamarigold ,

If I understand correctly this use case is known as "slowly changing dimension" , this is a well knows use case in BI modeling.
Here is a post I found about slowly changing dimension in Sisense:
https://community.sisense.com/t5/knowledge/slowly-changing-dimension/ta-p/8925
Keep in mind that there are few types of slowly changing dimensions, so I recommend reading this article as well.

Feel free to reach out if you have further questions, we're always happy to help (: 
Paldi Solutions - Number #1 Sisense Plugins Developer 

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

Benji_PaldiTeam
10 - ETL
10 - ETL

Hi @satyamarigold ,

If I understand correctly this use case is known as "slowly changing dimension" , this is a well knows use case in BI modeling.
Here is a post I found about slowly changing dimension in Sisense:
https://community.sisense.com/t5/knowledge/slowly-changing-dimension/ta-p/8925
Keep in mind that there are few types of slowly changing dimensions, so I recommend reading this article as well.

Feel free to reach out if you have further questions, we're always happy to help (: 
Paldi Solutions - Number #1 Sisense Plugins Developer 

Thank you! This helped solve that issue though I have a separate related issue now. Suppose for the example above - 
the user John is of membershipType "Alpha" till March 23 and "Beta" & "Gamma" afterwards, documentation for John should count towards both when breaking down by membership. But I don't want to create multiple rows in the dimension table, with documentation table linking to both. One solution I can think of is to create a second duplicate row in the documentation table (linking it to the second membership) but I want to avoid such an approach if possible. 

Community Toolbox

Recommended quick links to assist you in optimizing your community experience:

Developers Group:

Product Feedback Forum:

Need additional support?:

Submit a Support Request

The Legal Stuff

Have a question about the Sisense Community?

Email [email protected]