Product Feedback Forum
cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Currently, dynamic/parameterized datasets are not supported in BigQuery connections. You can parameterize the service account information, which is great, but it would be helpful to be able to use a parameter to swap the dataset in the BigQuery connection based on who's currently viewing the dashboard.

For reference, parameterized datasets and schemas are supported by other database engines:

• Azure Synapse
  • MS SQL
  • MySQL
  • PostgreSQL
  • Redshift
  • Snowflake
8 Comments

It does seem like BQ should be supported like those other DB engines!

Introducing this feature would significantly enhance our ability to ensure top-tier security for the data housed in BigQuery (BQ). Remarkably, this feature is already seamlessly integrated into Sisense for Snowflake, underscoring its proven effectiveness. It stands to reason that extending this capability to other leading data warehouse providers is a strategic move. We kindly urge you to consider its incorporation into the roadmap as soon as possible, particularly with the understanding that it holds immense value for consumers of BigQuery, including our organization. Your attention to this enhancement would undoubtedly contribute to the robust security infrastructure we aspire to maintain for our data on the BQ platform with Sisense as our end user data interface .

Hello @bordway,

Thank you for submitting your Idea! 

Have you looked at Dynamic Schema for GBQ? It may address your use case by utilizing User Parameters

If that doesn't meet your needs please let me know and I'm happy to investigate further.

Have a great day!

Hey @DRay, I looked into using the Dynamic Schema for BQ and User Parameters, but when I tested it, it didn't actually swap the dataset being used by the Live Model based on the user that's logged in. I'm not sure what it's supposed to be swapping, but it wasn't swapping datasets

The workaround that I did end up finding was set up the User Parameter to be used in Live Models and then I can create table queries that just do `SELECT * FROM {parameter}.<table_name>` for all the tables I needed

Status changed to: New Idea

Hello @bordway,

I'm glad you were able to find a workaround.

I'm wondering if our Perspectives feature might work for you also. Can you take a look at this documentation and let me know?

Thank you, and have a great day!

Hi @bordway,

Were you able to look at the Perspectives feature and see if it addresses your use case?

Status changed to: Needs Info

Hello @bordway,

I am discussing this with our product team, and parameters should work with GBQ. Have you reached out to support about this issue?