cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
intapiuser
Community Team Member
Community Team Member
Sometimes, phone numbers don't come in a format that easy for extraction. It requires a little bit of magic with Regex expressions in Redshift to get what you're looking for
Let's say I have this table, called "comments," as my underlying dataset. I want to extract the phone numbers from here.
This is the script I used:
select
  regexp_substr(replace(replace(replace(note, '(', ''), ')', ''), '-', ''), '\\d{10}\\d?') as number
from
  comments
And this is the result:
And this is the result:
How this works:
  1. We first remove the parenthesis and the hyphens from the expression by using the REPLACE function (we are replacing these characters with blank strings) replace(replace(replace(note, '(', ''), ')', ''), '-', '')
  2. Then, we use REGEXP_SUBSTR, and use POSIX operators to define the pattern we are looking for... Here, we want a string that is 10 or 11 digits (in case there's a digit for the country code). The pattern-matching expression for this would be '\\d{10}\\d?'

Breaking down the pattern matching expression:
\\d - this is code for "digit"
{10} this tells us how many instances of the previous character must appear in a row. So, '\\d{10}' is 10 digits, and '\\d{3} is 3 digits, and so on
\\d? This tells us there might be an additional digit. The question mark matches 0 or 1 occurrences of the character specified immediately before it

Any improvements or alternative methods you'd suggest for extracting a phone number?
Version history
Last update:
‎03-02-2023 09:35 AM
Updated by:
Contributors
Community Toolbox

Recommended quick links to assist you in optimizing your community experience:

Developers Group:

Product Feedback Forum:

Need additional support?:

Submit a Support Request

The Legal Stuff

Have a question about the Sisense Community?

Email [email protected]