cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Removed Dashboards still show in user's list (or vice versa: newly shared dashboards not appearing)

Jake_Raz
10 - ETL
10 - ETL

Hello! We've noticed multiple incidents recently where, when the owner of a dashboard removes a user from the dashboard, or they delete the dashboard entirely, that user will still see the dashboard listed in their sidebar. If they hover-over the dashboard, it will display the normal pop-up showing info about the dashboard (who the owner is, when it was last published, etc). However, if they attempt to click on the dashboard to view it, they'll be met with a 403 error screen that says "Sorry...you don't have permission to access this Dashboard. Please request access from [the dashboard owner]."

Jake_Raz_0-1726160307592.png

Also worth noting, not sure if relevant or not: if the user tries to click on the kebab icon () next to the name of the affected dashboard, nothing happens (i.e. it doesn't pop-up the options menu like normal). 

For the user in question, as far as we can tell, there's absolutely nothing they can do to fix this on their own. There doesn't appear to be any way to resolve this error or remove the dashboard from their list for good. This is affecting multiple users, not just one or two specific people. I'm experiencing it myself. I've tried clearing my cookies/site settings, as well as logging in while in Incognito/Private mode or using a different browser (to ensure it's not an issue with browser caching). None of these work, I still see the ghost dashboards and cannot remove them myself.

The only workaround we've found is to ask the Dashboard Owner to re-share the dashboard with that user and then remove them a second time. This usually works but occasionally we need to repeat this a few more times before it finally "takes".  Also, this doesn't help for when the dashboard was DELETED, since now there's nothing to re-share.

A somewhat similar issue we've noticed is when initially sharing a dashboard with a user for the first time. We've gotten many complaint from people who received an email notification saying "so-and-so has shared the 'XYZ' dashboard with you", but when they login to view it, they cannot find it anywhere in their sidebar (even after looking in all folders or using the search at the top of the list). When this happens, the only workaround we've found is for the Dashboard Owner to remove the user in question and then immediately re-add them a second time. Like with the other issue, this usually fixes the problem (they'll start seeing the dashboard for real) but occasionally we need to repeat this a few times before it 'takes'.

Any thoughts or suggestions about what might be going on here? How can we fix this so the workarounds I described aren't necessary?

An important note: we don't use Sisense directly, but instead through a third-party application called TeamConnect where our dashboards are displayed via an iFrame. It's all powered by Sisense behind the scenes, but unfortunately it's an older Windows-based version (specifically: v8.2.0.10219), so there may be certain features that aren't available to us. Also, we do not have access to any of the backend/admin stuff for our e-Cube. If resolving this issue would require someone to log into that admin area, please let us know so we can work with the TC Support folks to get that taken care of. However, I'd still like to see the details myself; even if I can't go in and make the changes on my own, I'd like to have a better understanding of what the vendor will be doing on our behalf 🙂

4 REPLIES 4

DRay
Community Team Member
Community Team Member

Hi @Jake_Raz,

Thank you for reaching out. I haven't heard of this issue before. It almost seems like a caching issue. Have you reached out to TeamConnect to see what they say? I would be interested in knowing if this issue happens when using Sisense directly, not through an IFrame.

David Raynor (DRay)

If I grab the dashboard's URL via the share/republish dialog, I can copy/paste it into a new tab, which seemingly works and lets me view Sisense directly, not through the iFrame. However, I still see the 'ghost' dashboards and get the same 403 error 😕

Jake_Raz_0-1726162905986.png

We've already opened a ticket with the TC Support folks, I was just hoping to see if I could get some answers separately through y'all. It's never clear how much experience their techs have with Sisense in general, so anything I can learn on my own and pass onto them will hopefully get the ticket resolved sooner.

Jake_Raz
10 - ETL
10 - ETL

Side question: why is this error message apparently not documented anywhere in Sisense's documentation? I dunno, just seems strange. If you're going to display a specific UI message to someone, you should anticipate them going "huh, let me try searching for that". Am I just looking in the wrong places?

Jake_Raz_0-1726168438862.pngJake_Raz_1-1726168446249.png

(I tried searching for Sisense + "permission to access" on Google but the only relevant links were to post on https://community-old.sisense.com which are apparently not accessible anymore because I get an error page about Cloudflare, and I can't pull up either link via the wayback machine 😞 )

DRay
Community Team Member
Community Team Member

Thank you for pointing this out. I'll bring this up with the documentation team.

David Raynor (DRay)