Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sisense-Git Integration Issues

harni_sri
8 - Cloud Apps
8 - Cloud Apps

Sisense-Git Integration gaps: 

We have 2 environments dev & prod. When we develop a dashboard/model in dev using sisense GUI & push it to git-hub & merge it into the git hub master branch, we expected the master to reflect the changes in prod. Is there a sisense documentation that tells us how to integrate sisense via git hub across different environments i.e on how to connect the prod environment to git and do a git pull. 

The performance of the GUI is very slow. 

When merged with master in git hub, it creates 2 new folders dashboards & data models & saves the assets along with their unique oid. Is there a way to store only the name of the dashboards /data models? 

When we manually import/export a dashboard or data model,  we use only one file either a .dash /.smodel. But when done via GUI 14/15 files get selected for pushing a small change. Is there a way to select only changed files? 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Oleksandr_K
Sisense Team Member
Sisense Team Member

Hi @harni_sri,

Thanks for reaching out and for sharing the feedback.  Let me address your questions one by one

"We have 2 environments dev & prod. When we develop a dashboard/model in dev using sisense GUI & push it to git-hub & merge it into the git hub master branch, we expected the master to reflect the changes in prod. Is there a sisense documentation that tells us how to integrate sisense via git hub across different environments i.e on how to connect the prod environment to git and do a git pull."

Considering that the Sisense instance (dev, stage, prod, etc) is treated as a local repository - there is no difference in working with Git, as with any other software project. Meaning, that in order for the changes committed in Master on Dev env and pushed to the remote (GitHub) to be reflected in Prod env - you need to make pull.

"The performance of the GUI is very slow."
 Please, submit a ticket with clear steps to reproduce, details about assets used in the project and what exact action is performing slow to you.

"When merged with master in git hub, it creates 2 new folders dashboards & data models & saves the assets along with their unique oid. Is there a way to store only the name of the dashboards /data models?"

No, this is not possible, as both oid and name of the assets create the unique name of the file in the Git file system. This is a basement for Git to understand to which assets new commits should be applied. See https://docs.sisense.com/main/SisenseLinux/asset-translation-and-management.htm?tocpath=Git%20Integr... for more information.

"When we manually import/export a dashboard or data model,  we use only one file either a .dash /.smodel. But when done via GUI 14/15 files get selected for pushing a small change. Is there a way to select only changed files?"
To improve performance and enhance the visibility of changes being made, Sisense assets (such as Data Models and Dashboards) are converted, or translated, into decomposed sets of child files in the JSON format. For more info check https://docs.sisense.com/main/SisenseLinux/asset-translation-and-management.htm?tocpath=Git%20Integr...
 You may create smaller commits and push/pull them if you want smaller increments of changes to be delivered between the environments.

Let me know if that answers your question.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

DRay
Community Team Member
Community Team Member

Hello @harni_sri.

Welcome to the Sisense Community! We are happy to have you here!

Someone will address your questions directly soon, but these will help get you started. https://docs.sisense.com/main/SisenseLinux/working-with-git-integration-projects.htm and https://docs.sisense.com/main/SisenseLinux/introduction-to-sisense-git-integration.htm

This is specifically about migrating assets across environments: https://community.sisense.com/t5/deploy-connect-analytics/migrating-assets-across-environments-lever...

Welcome again, and have a great day!

David Raynor (DRay)

DRay
Community Team Member
Community Team Member

Hi @harni_sri.

I wanted to check in with you to see if the resources I linked answered your questions. Can you let me know if you have any more questions?

Thank you.

David Raynor (DRay)

I already went through the resource you linked. It did not help me. Can I talk to one of your developers?

DRay
Community Team Member
Community Team Member

Hi @harni_sri.

Thank you for getting back to me. I reached out to your account team to get you connected with a technical resource. 

David Raynor (DRay)

DRay
Community Team Member
Community Team Member

Hi @harni_sri.

Following up here to see if your account team has contacted you. Can you let me know?

Thank you.

David Raynor (DRay)

Yes, they did. I am trying to setup a web based session with me.

Thanks,

Harni

DRay
Community Team Member
Community Team Member

Hi @harni_sri.

Following up here to see if your account team has contacted you. Can you let me know?

Thank you.

David Raynor (DRay)

Oleksandr_K
Sisense Team Member
Sisense Team Member

Hi @harni_sri,

Thanks for reaching out and for sharing the feedback.  Let me address your questions one by one

"We have 2 environments dev & prod. When we develop a dashboard/model in dev using sisense GUI & push it to git-hub & merge it into the git hub master branch, we expected the master to reflect the changes in prod. Is there a sisense documentation that tells us how to integrate sisense via git hub across different environments i.e on how to connect the prod environment to git and do a git pull."

Considering that the Sisense instance (dev, stage, prod, etc) is treated as a local repository - there is no difference in working with Git, as with any other software project. Meaning, that in order for the changes committed in Master on Dev env and pushed to the remote (GitHub) to be reflected in Prod env - you need to make pull.

"The performance of the GUI is very slow."
 Please, submit a ticket with clear steps to reproduce, details about assets used in the project and what exact action is performing slow to you.

"When merged with master in git hub, it creates 2 new folders dashboards & data models & saves the assets along with their unique oid. Is there a way to store only the name of the dashboards /data models?"

No, this is not possible, as both oid and name of the assets create the unique name of the file in the Git file system. This is a basement for Git to understand to which assets new commits should be applied. See https://docs.sisense.com/main/SisenseLinux/asset-translation-and-management.htm?tocpath=Git%20Integr... for more information.

"When we manually import/export a dashboard or data model,  we use only one file either a .dash /.smodel. But when done via GUI 14/15 files get selected for pushing a small change. Is there a way to select only changed files?"
To improve performance and enhance the visibility of changes being made, Sisense assets (such as Data Models and Dashboards) are converted, or translated, into decomposed sets of child files in the JSON format. For more info check https://docs.sisense.com/main/SisenseLinux/asset-translation-and-management.htm?tocpath=Git%20Integr...
 You may create smaller commits and push/pull them if you want smaller increments of changes to be delivered between the environments.

Let me know if that answers your question.