cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Filter for values that contain line breaks

Jake_Raz
10 - ETL
10 - ETL

I'm trying to find records that contain a line break when they shouldn't. The field I'm trying to filter is a text field. How can I do this? To be clear, I'm trying to do this purely in the front-end UI, because we don't have access to the backend admin area (for configuring the e-cube). So any solution that involves modifying tables/columns is out 😞

Is there a way to filter for line breaks using the normal text filters in the front-end UI? I can't just hit the Enter key in the input box because it doesn't treat that as actual input itself. I tried putting things like "\n" but it seems to be interpreting that as a literal, rather than as a newline character. I read in Sisense's documentation that you can use the backslash as an escape character, but searching for "\\n" also doesn't seem to work.

Thoughts on how I can achieve this without e-cube modification? Perhaps there's a way to do it via an Advanced filter, or using some kind of widget/dashboard script?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Jake_Raz
10 - ETL
10 - ETL

Welp, nevermind...right after posting this, I figured it out on my own. Sheesh.

Well, I guess for anyone else who's come to this post via the search and are trying to do the same thing, here's what I did:

1. Add the filter to the widget for the field in question
  2. Select the Text tab. Make sure the dropdown is set to Contains logic, then type "\n" in the input box.
  3. Switch to the Advanced tab. You should see the following: "contains": "\\n"
  4. Remove the second slash from within the second set of quotes, so you end up with this: "contains": "\n"
  5. Click OK

This should filter down to only the records where the field contains a line break. You can verify this by including some other filter that makes it so your result set has both records with a line break and records without one, then toggle the first filter on-and-off. You'll see the no-line-break records get filtered out appropriately whenever the filter is active.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1

Jake_Raz
10 - ETL
10 - ETL

Welp, nevermind...right after posting this, I figured it out on my own. Sheesh.

Well, I guess for anyone else who's come to this post via the search and are trying to do the same thing, here's what I did:

1. Add the filter to the widget for the field in question
  2. Select the Text tab. Make sure the dropdown is set to Contains logic, then type "\n" in the input box.
  3. Switch to the Advanced tab. You should see the following: "contains": "\\n"
  4. Remove the second slash from within the second set of quotes, so you end up with this: "contains": "\n"
  5. Click OK

This should filter down to only the records where the field contains a line break. You can verify this by including some other filter that makes it so your result set has both records with a line break and records without one, then toggle the first filter on-and-off. You'll see the no-line-break records get filtered out appropriately whenever the filter is active.