Product Feedback Forum
cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

When you export a datamodel to a .smodel file, the file includes connection information (server name, password, etc.).

I would like an option to exclude that information when I click export. The export dialog already offers check boxes for Data Security, Scope Configuration, etc.; this feature could be just another one that says "Connection Information".

Ideally, I'd like it to exclude the connection information by default, so users are forced to explicitly ask to include it, which will remind them to consider the file as sensitive. But I understand if you don't want to change default behaviour that other users are used to.

When you import a model that has had this information removed, the import should let you to enter new connection information, or leave it as placeholders like Server=0.0.0.0 and password=Password so you can enter the information after importing.

Sisense GIT already removes this information; this feature could work in a similar way. You could even deliberately make GIT's "non-tracked entities" all appear on the list of export options. GIT per this page: https://docs.sisense.com/main/SisenseLinux/asset-translation-and-management.htm?tocpath=Git%20Integr...

5 Comments

Bonus extra: Could you parametrise the connection information, so that I can set a dataset's connection information to {{SalesDatabase}}, the .smodel json just stores {{SalesDatabase}} instead of the connection information, and when I import on a different Sisense server it looks up {{SalesDatabase}} in that server's parameters and automatically puts in server name, password, etc.?

Picture:

Tim_1-1712789778237.png

The parameterization idea would fit in nicely with the Connection feature that has been in Beta for a long time.  Sisense, let's get that feature rolled out officially!

Hello @Tim,

Thank you for sharing your idea and providing details. We will bring this to the product team and provide updates here as they are available.

I encourage people to continue to vote and comment. We use community interest as one of the ways we prioritize efforts, so every vote and comment can help turn a request into a reality!

Status changed to: Needs Votes & Comments