Product Feedback Forum
Help us make Sisense better by posting your product feedback here.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Currently, the aggregation function depends on the type of the dimension :

- Text or date => Distinct count

- Numeric => Sum

In our use case, this default assignation is not always accurate as it is sometime required to use Distinct Count with numeric fields.

It would be good to hauve the default aggregation function to be choosed by the cube designer, when developping the metadata layer (ElastiCube or Live cube). This way, the dashboard designer will be proposed the accurate function without need to change it.

This is particlary interesting with a users population that don't have analytics background and for which choosing the correct agregation function is not obvious.

Thank you

3 Comments
Status changed to: Needs Info

Hello @fschleich .

Thank you for your feedback! I would like to get this Idea over to the product team, but first I need to get more information and head off any roadblocks to implementation.

Do you have any examples of how you like this to work? From both the Data Model design and Dashboard design standpoints. Should a default aggregation by a mandatory selection for each row, with 'none' as an option, or would you want it to be a manual choice to add a default?

Thank you for working with me to get this Idea fleshed out so it can be evaluated and scoped for effort.

Have a great day!

Hi Dray,

Let me try to clarify my idea.

1. From Data Model Design :

In the menu to set options for the tables / columns (see print screen below), having a new option "Default agregation function".

A drop down list with options : Sum / Count all / Count unique / Min / Max / Average / Median / Variance / Standard deviation, along with "Duplicate" / " Rename" / "Hide" ...

The example below (field NB_CMAD) is a numeric. Because of the type, the default option will be set to Sum. But, thanks to the menu I propose, the Data model designer will have the option to change it to something else (like "Count unique" in my example)

fschleich_0-1722244334084.png

2. From the Widget design

The widget designer will be proposed "Count Unique" by default instead of "Sum" as they have now  (see print screen below)

Of course there will still be the "More" option for the widget designer to change the agregation option if needed. 

fschleich_2-1722244968052.png

=> This way, the Data Model Designer - who knows best what is the right agregation function to apply - will have the control over the default option.

Hoping this is clearer now. Let me know.

Best regards,

Franck

Status changed to: Needs Votes & Comments

Hello @fschleich,

Thank you for sharing your idea and providing details. We will bring this to the product team and provide updates here as they are available.

We encourage people to continue to vote and comment. We use community interest as one of the ways we prioritize efforts, so every vote and comment can help turn a request into a reality.

Thank you again for sharing and being part of our community!