cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
intapiuser
Community Team Member
Community Team Member
Conditional formatting of background colors in pivot tables is one of the best ways to draw attention to numbers, but still provide a clean visual.  The use of data bars creates a lot of visual noise, whereas background colors are subtle and act more like a heatmap.

The code below can be added to any pivot widget to conditionally format cells based on their values from a solid color for the max value down to white for the min value.

In order for this code to work, the pivot table must have the "data bars" feature enabled.  This conditional formatting simply swaps the data bars for background colors.

Here is the code:
var colors = ['77, 197, 255', '226, 112, 255'];
var startColIdx = 2;

widget.on('ready',function(e,ev) {
   for (var i in colors){
      var color = colors[i];
      $(element).find(".databar[fidx=" + (parseInt(i,10)+startColIdx) + "] .bar-container .bar").each(function(x,e){ 
         $(e).css('background-color', 'rgba(0,0,0,0)');
         $(e).closest('.databar').css('background-color','rgba(' + color + ',' + ($(e).width()/$(e).parent().width()) + ')'); 
      });
   }
});
The code has 2 variables
  1. The colors array, these are the RGB colors for the max value for each of the value columns
  2. The startColIdx is the column number that the pivot values start at.  If you have 1 "Rows" item, the startColIdx is 2.  If you have 2 rows, the startColIdx is 3 and so on.
Below is an image showing the result of applying this code to a pivot widget.
Comments
jamesm
7 - Data Storage
7 - Data Storage

Hi, is this possible to do without code?

dp_ps
7 - Data Storage
7 - Data Storage

Hi @intapiuser 

Are there any other pre-requisites to using this code beside enabling the data bars? For some reason, the code isn't working for me. 

Version history
Last update:
‎03-02-2023 09:04 AM
Updated by:
Contributors
Community Toolbox

Recommended quick links to assist you in optimizing your community experience:

Developers Group:

Product Feedback Forum:

Need additional support?:

Submit a Support Request

The Legal Stuff

Have a question about the Sisense Community?

Email [email protected]