cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Prevent users from saving dashboards at the base folder level

mitchgarner16
7 - Data Storage
7 - Data Storage

Hi there, we are currently architecting an approach to providing self-service analytics using Sisense embedded within an application. The challenge we're running into is now that we've granted users the ability to create their own dashboards, can we enforce any sort of structure to where content is saved, so we don't end up with a giant mess at the base level and sub-folders.

This implementation already has "canned" (pre-built reports that work for all app customers) Sisense dashboards embedded into the application where they are consumed, and we are planning to provide some starter reports for users to duplicate and customize to their liking for future use, and distribution. They'll be allowed to share to only specific users (via group memberships and the related setting).

We have an established structure for the canned reports and their data models.  Each client (similar to tenant in practice) accesses the shared report definitions and data models, but has row level security defined via a group structure that is synced to Sisense by the application.  That works well today.

For Self-Service, we were then going to grant view on template dashboards and can use on the underlying data, then users can duplicate and modify as desired for their purposes.

However, I'm not clear on how Sisense defaults where content is saved to.  In other tools I've worked with users have workspaces that would line up to their groups that they would be allowed to save and share within.  That doesn't seem to be the case with Sisense.

Ultimately, for our purposes it would be nice for a behavior like, when user duplicates template for their use, forces them to save the dashboard in a folder they have access to, and not at the base level.

Interested if anyone has any ideas or input here.  The only plug-in that may be remotely helpful is QBeeQ's folder management, but I don't think that would have behavior exactly like we're describing here, unless there is behavior in Sisense I'm not aware of (highly possible).

Thanks

3 REPLIES 3

DRay
Community Team Member
Community Team Member

Hi @mitchgarner16,

Thank you for reaching out. I'm not aware of a current solution for your use case. I want to connect you with a technical resource who will review your use and work toward a solution. Would you like me to pursue setting that up?

David Raynor (DRay)

Sure!  We're still actively working on the project, and if we can figure out something I'm sure the user base would appreciate it.

Let me know how we can set that up.

DRay
Community Team Member
Community Team Member

Thanks for responding. I have reached out to the account team to get the ball rolling. We will be in touch soon.

David Raynor (DRay)