Product Feedback Forum
cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

When a Sisense server's IP address changes, you have to reinstall Sisense. I want a script or button that changes all the relevant settings.

We need it because we're planning changes to our network. There are other reasons that an IP address might need to change, e.g. I might restore from a system image backup to a different location, or I might start a new server and, after testing, want to redirect my old server's IP address to it. We'll do it by reinstalling, but that feels like more work than it should be.

7 Comments
Status changed to: Needs Info

Hello @Tim,

Thank you for your feedback. Are you doing a full re-install, or are you performing an update, as recommended here?

I understand the desire to simplify this process with a GUI, but I want to confirm the current process and address the pain points.

Thank you.

Oh! That link looks a lot simpler than a reinstall!

... but is the link for when I'm adding a new address/hostname, but also keeping Sisense accessible at the old address? My scenario is that the old IP address is being removed or assigned to a completely different server. 

I created this feature request because tech support said "the best way would be to uninstall and then re-install using the new IP details. This is because all services and API are linked to the particular IP, so we will have to re-install the cluster to update"

Tech support also suggested this:
"I have read online that the following can help you with the change but it has not been tested on our end:
1. Drain node: kubectl drain <node_name> --ignore-daemonsets
2. Update the IP address
3. Update the IP address under /opt/sisense/config/rke/cluster.yml
4. Run rke up --config /opt/sisense/config/rke/cluster.yml"

Hi @Tim,

Oof, that is quite the process. I would definitely like to see an easier way to do that.

Support can probably clarify the scenario the doc is talking about, but in the meantime, I recommend following their directions. 

Yeah. Will do it their way. Just wanted to add it to the feature requests / roadmaps so that one day we get a simple process.

I was going to say it's ok if it's still a bit of effort, but now I'm thinking - ideally it'd be automate-able so that another process can tell Sisense that it's switching address. That way, a user could make it work on dynamic IP addresses. Not something we need at the moment though. 

And another thought - can/could different tenants be reachable at different IP addresses? Also not needed now, but it might be handy in the future.

Anyway, just ideas for your roadmap. We have a solution that works, it just takes a bit more effort.

Status changed to: Needs Votes & Comments

Hi @Tim,

I have submitted this Idea to the product team and I will post updates here as they are available.

One of the ways we prioritize development efforts is by community interest. Please encourage other users to vote and comment on your suggestion, the more engagement a request receives, the higher the likelihood of it being considered for implementation.

Thank you for being a valuable part of our community!

I strongly support this feature request. There might be a lot of situations where an IP address need to changed and it would be a huge time-saver if we could automate this process rather than uninstalling and reinstalling Sisense. 

Hello,

This has been discussed with the product team, and they are not able to include it in the roadmap at this time.

However, I will leave this post open to gather more votes and comments.

One of the ways we prioritize development efforts is by community interest. I encourage other users to vote and comment on this suggestion. The more engagement a request receives, the higher the likelihood of it being considered for implementation.

Thank you for being a valuable part of our community!